about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Friday, February 01, 2008

Good Loser/Bad Loser

This is Steven Petrick Posting.

I have a habit of being a good loser. If my opponent has beaten me fairly, or simply because I have made some terrible blunder, I do my best to take it in stride. I do not always succeed. (Truth in advertising. Once during a computer game where both sides were supposed to have exactly the same chance of winning any given battle my opponent was awarded about a dozen victories in a row. Essentially from that point I was doomed to defeat since I was now so far behind the power curve there was no chance of recovery. I had had a real bad day to that point on totally unrelated things, and that proved a breaking point resulting in my needing to express myself . . . and putting a fist through a wall.) I do always try. I do not react well to people who cheat, or who spring "surprise rules". I do react well to "when this was set up, it was always intended that the Fourth Horde would suddenly appear on the flank of your advance forcing you to adjust to the situation . . . if you did not keep a reserve provide security on the flank generally, too bad." I consider such things valuable training that helps remind me that a game board edge (whether a table top or a map board) is not inherently impassable terrain from which an enemy cannot attack me.

Games, however, are not real life. When it comes to real life, I am a very, very, VERY bad loser.

We lost on 09/11/01.

There is not going to be a day when I do not wish the ultimate and most unpleasant of fates on Osama bin Laden all who follow him. There is not a day that goes by when I do not think of him and what I wish to have happen to him. There is not a chance in my lifetime that I will ever "be Christian" and "turn the other cheek" or "forgive".

09/11/01 is a fact of my life, and I bear a grudge and will do so at least to the day I die, and if it is in any way possible, I will carry that grudge beyond the grave.