about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

RIGHT ANSWER, WRONG REASON

This is Steven Petrick Posting.

When I was younger I took a test that, supposedly, would determine whether or not you were a good candidate for space colonization. It was a timed event, a series of choices, with right ones in the given amount of time taking you on to other choices, while failing to make a choice in the alloted time, or making a wrong choice eliminated you.

I passed. Got every question right. Which got me an interview (I was about 13 or 14 or thereabouts, perhaps younger, perhaps older).

The result of the interview was that the test was thrown out.

The problem was that while I got them all right, I did not necessarily make the choices in the "correct" manner.

An example: Choose a door, behind one door is a Lion, behind the other is Minotaur. My logic, obviously both would kill me, so I chose the Minotaur for the simple reason that I had never seen a real one. This was the correct answer, BUT the reason you were supposed to choose the Minotaur (I no longer remember for certain if it was the Minotaur, but it was a Mythological beast that I chose) is because it is a mythological beast that does not exist and therefore cannot harm you.

There were several other questions (not based on Mythological creatures) that I got right for the wrong reason, and the psych guys were concerned that others might "pass" their test for the same reasons I did, which were the wrong reasons.

What can I say.