about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

A Wish for Victory

This is Steven Petrick Posting.

There is nothing special about today, but I thought I would take a moment to extend my thanks to every member of the U.S. armed forces, and those of our active allies, who are serving or have served in the ongoing war on terror. I deeply regret and apologize for my own personal absence from the field and deeply wish that I could have been there to help you all shoulder the burden. No matter what is said in effort to prevent you from gaining a victory in this war that you have all worked so hard to attain, you have my own support and belief not just in the cause in which you serve, but in your own personal desire to see that victory attained.

The above are just words, no matter how heartfelt on my part. I should be there, should have been there. Do not believe that there are not people here, in the U.S., that are praying for your success. That we are not hurt by every loss you suffer, that we do not wish the job could be done safely and that all of you would return home whole and healthy. War has never been that way, and never will be. We mourn your losses, feel sorrow for your pain, but we believe in you and the goal.

Do not let the nattering class destroy your morale or convince you that the goal is not one worth attaining.

Remember that South Korea was not a democracy after World War II, but Service men fought, and died, there, and today it is a vibrant democracy. Things can change. It takes time, blood, and tears, but it does happen.