about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Thursday, September 04, 2008

Elections

This is Steven Petrick Posting.

The election is about two months out. So here once again is my big election speech:

Vote.

I do not care who you vote for as long as you vote as honestly as you can, i.e., not waste your vote by writing in Mickey Mouse or some equally impossible candidate.

You may resent the choices we have come down to, but at least vote to put the one you believe is likely to do the least harm.

It is your obligation as a citizen, one of very few that is asked of you individually by society at large. So overcome your self-centered view of the world for one day and exercise your franchise.

Do not vote Democrat because you are a Democrat. Do not vote Republican because you are a Republican. Same goes for Libertarians and other political stripes.

Vote for the person you either believe is the best person for the job, and if neither meets that criteria, vote for the person that you think will do the least harm until we can do this again in four years. Yes, I have said neither, because the sad truth is that no one but the candidates from the two major parties has a chance of winning. You might feel good casting your ballot for neither of them, but yours might have been the deciding ballot between the two of them which just means you threw your vote away. I am not happy about that, but it is the truth as things stand in the electoral process of our Republic.

No, I am NOT going to ask you to vote for (or vote against) anyone specific. I am not electioneering. How I will cast my ballot is my own business, just as how you cast yours is your own business.

I am going to ask you to vote, as I have done.