about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Sunday, January 04, 2009

Sunday as a Day of Rest

This is Steven Petrick Posting.

Being concerned that Jean might miss her bus, SVC, Leanna, Jean, and I spent Saturday night awake. SVC and I took Jean to the bus station about an hour before her bus (scheduled for 0445), only to discover that it had been delayed by weather and was running an hour behind. We waited with Jean until her bus arrived and she was safely headed up the bus's steps.

There are some who can be told when a deployment will occur and safely sleep the night away with no concern that they will awaken in time for it. I am not one of them, neither, apparently, is Jean. I have always been unable to sleep the night before, and have generally made up the sleep on the trip (I am fortunate to be one of those who is able to sleep the sleep of the just on a crowded airplane or even truck once I know I have not "missed movement".

To pass the hours, Jean, SVC, and I played Munchkin, the first time any of us ever had (although Jean noted that the system was similar to Chez Geek which she had played before. I am certain in my own mind that we were not following all the rules correctly, so who won or lost these games is not important (although Jean from her vastly superior experience in having played Chez Geek soundly trounced SVC and myself in the first two games). We had the game mostly because I was amuzed by the cards and had picked up a copy together with many of the expansions. Afterall, even I played some role playing games about delving into dungeons when I was younger (stop looking at me like that you young whippersnappers . . . I was young once too), and had enough experience to recognize and appreciate many of the jokes (and I read much of Kovalic's Dork Tower series as well . . . which helps).

Still . . . to be honest . . . for a lazy evening I probably would have enjoyed a round of Nuclear War more. It appeals just a tad more to that dark part of my soul . . .

In any case, at this juncture we are just hopping that Jean made all of her connections and gets safely back home. If so, she will post tomorrow's blog as a close out of her brief visit to Amarillo.