about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Simple Things

This is Steven Petrick Posting.

It is always the simple things that trip you up.

There was a short-lived TV series called "Wolf Lake". I did not watch it at the time because decisions have to be made about how much time can be devoted to watching TV, and "werewolves" are not that interesting a draw for me. The series was canceled very quickly (I am pretty sure it did not finish its first season). Time has passed, and the episodes of "Wolf Lake" are being shown on the Sci Fi Channel (sorry, I refuse to call it "Sy Fy", the marketing department that came up with that in my opinion should all be looking for new jobs). Well, heck, there are only a few episodes, and I have Tivo now, so I can record them and watch them at some future date. Eight episodes running back to back. I could set up to record them each individually . . . but wait, Tivo has this "season pass" thing that has been doing real well picking up episodes of "Bones" and "Primeval" and etc. So, I will just set a Season Pass for "Wolf Lake" and all will be well with the world.

Well, all would have been well, except that this was the first time I had ever set a Season Pass for a "dead series" that was being run back to back over an eight-hour period. I did not get eight episodes. I got Five. Why? Well . . . Tivo recorded the first five, and when it came time to record the sixth one, it checked my "recording options". Which I did not think about looking at the "recording options" since in most cases (i.e., every case prior to this point) I am only getting one episode a night, and sometimes two or three episodes in a week ("Bones" and "The Unusuals" both did something like that recently). So when Tivo looked, it saw that my recording options were set for the standard "keep just five episodes", so it discarded the first (oldest) episode (even though it had recorded it that very morning), and recorded the sixth episode. Same thing for the 2nd (deleted) and seventh (recorded) and third (deleted) and eighth (recorded).

A simple thing, and a sign of how complicated life has become that I did not even think about the recording option instructions. I did not even figure it out until I looked at my "recording history" which explained why the firs three episodes had been deleted.

Sigh.