about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Saturday, August 08, 2009

G.I. Joe Film is a No-Go For Me

This is Steven Petrick Posting:

I went to see the new "G.I. Joe" movie. Overall I would say what can be done with computer effects these days is pretty amazing, but other than that . . . well, I want my money and time back.

Part of it was the how silly everything was. The idea that these massive complexes could be constructed, and nobody noticed (whether it was the secret lair of the Joes in Egypt, or the secret lair of Cobra under the polar ice cap) was just one example. The other was the silliness of the existence of the advanced technologies possessed by the Joes and Cobra that made an absolute mockery of anything owned by anyone who was not part of the Joes or Cobra.

And, of course, the usual poor writing and poorly thought out plot points.

I mean, seriously, if the Joes were over-watching the vehicle convoy in case it was attacked, how could they have been so incompetent that they were not able to intervene in the attack on the convoy until everyone in it was dead except the two guys who would eventually join the Joes? I mean, this is not a case of a convoy that ten clicks down the road when you get a message they are under attack by an enemy force, this is you have your force airborne and nearby, but they do not arrive until attackers have destroyed the convoy's air cover, shot up the ground vehicles, landed their own assault element, killed everyone (except the two future Joes), and secured the object of their assault and are in the process of pulling out.

If I had been one of the two survivors and the General had told me they had suspected the convoy would be attacked and arranged their own cover, I would have punched him on the spot and take the court martial. His incompetence just got everyone in my platoon (except my good buddy) killed.

Oh, and by the way, our technology could not touch the ONE (1) Aircraft they sent to attack our convoy. It shed the cannon shells our AH-64 Apache hit it with like it was nothing but spitballs, and shot down the missiles our AH-64 fired at it, not to mention the ADA missiles one of our vehicles fired at it. Blew our vehicles all over the road, AND landed the assault element that killed the 20 some guys that survived the initial attack, while just shrugging off the bullets they were firing.

In all, it was pretty disappointing to me, plot-wise, and only worth seeing for the computer-generated effects.