about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Alarms and Excursions

This is Steven Petrick Posting.

Last night SVC and Leanna were woken from a sound sleep by the Security Company and advised that the "glass break" alarm had been triggered at the building. SVC and Leanna decided to head into town and check on the status of the building themselves rather than also wake me (who would have taken another ten minutes to make the trip since I live that much further away).

When they arrived at the office, the Amarillo City Police already had a man present, but neither he nor the Coles could discern any apparent damage. The officer was admitted to the building and did a quick walk through, but the rear door was secured as were all of the windows. (Most of our windows are on the front of the building, but there is a small window in the front bathroom also.)

With everything apparently secure, SVC and Leanna returned home and them to bed (after Rambo and Isis spent some time saying "what did you bring us").

The next morning, unaware of the night's incident, I arrived at the office. As I came through the door the phone was ringing. I picked it up and proceeded to the alarm system. Apparently I was too late for whoever was calling (I did not hear them hang up, but neither did I hear them say anything). I entered the security code, but the device did not accept it. Normally this just means reenter the code, but as I was trying to do so, it went off.

The System then insisted, non-stop, that there "was someone in the hallway", even though I was in one of the offices on the phone talking to the security company and could not have been possibly triggering the motion sensors.

After a bit (and having to talk to the Security Company two or three times) I finally got the system reset.

Still no sign of an intruder within the building (all the windows are intact), but I am wondering if there is some glitch in the alarm system now. It will probably (if there is one) show up on some really, really, REALLY bad night (it will be a night beyond question). You know, in the middle of a raging hailstorm or blizzard.

Sigh.