about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Sunday, October 04, 2009

Time Passes

This is Steven Petrick Posting:

We are into the last quarter of 2009, the last quarter of the first decade of the 21st Century.

For those who are yet young, hardly any time has passed. For me, more than a half century of existence on has passed.

Much like my elders, it has been a period of much change. The computer has come, cell phones are common. Newspapers and news magazines seem to have become a mere passing fad as the internet and television continue to reduce readership.

According to the bible, more than two thirds of my allotted life-span has passed. I cannot help but wonder what changes I will see in the final third. I grew up (thanks to my father) with a steady diet of science fiction. I truly expected, at one point in my life, that by the time I was this old we would have multiple colonies "out there". Have met new life forms. So I can safely say that much of life has been something of a disappointment (but I know that it is Heinlein, Clarke, Asimov, Anvil, and others that are to blame for that).

I have hopes, still, for my species, but I am far less hopeful than when I was younger. The dream of getting "out there" seems (to me) to be being slowly strangled by the corruption down here.