about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Thursday, April 08, 2010

The Plague Cometh, the Plague Goeth

This is Steven Petrick Posting.

This last Saturday I had a burning in the back of my throat. By late Sunday it had not yet evolved into a cough, although I had started to feel feverish. Sunday night I called SVC to say I would probably not be in Monday, but while I overslept that morning, I just did not feel sick enough to really stay home. By this time I had a cough, and could sort of feel as if I had some fluid in my lungs, but somehow did not really feel as if I was sick enough to stay down.

I have come to realize that I was indeed far sicker than I was aware.

In the 96 hours that lasted from Saturday to Tuesday evening I slept more than 58 of them. I did not eat very much in that period, and while I came into work both Wednesday and today (and indeed on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday though I stayed less than a hour on the latter two days) I found myself completely lacking in stamina. I also found it difficult to concentrate on Wednesday.

As of today, I still have a cough (and it is sort of funny, as bad as things got, I did not suffer the kind of extended coughing jags I have associated with this kind of illness in the past). But I have not coughed long enough or repeatedly enough that the muscles that control my breathing have become painfully overworked.

I kept thinking I was getting better every day I was sick, and clearly I was not, given the lack of stamina I still have today.

I do not know what this was, how or where I caught it, probably some kind of flu, but I think this has been one of the most draining illnesses I have ever had. I cannot recall sleeping that much while coughing so little.