about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Saturday, January 29, 2011

RANDOM THOUGHTS #25

Steve Cole muses: Just thinking to himself.

1. Poinsettias (the red Christmas flower) were introduced to the US in 1828 by Joel Poinsett, who was at the time the US ambassador to Mexico.

2. We have a tradition in my family. When a man dies, the screwdrivers from his toolbox are passed out to the other men in the family. I have, in my toolbox, screwdrivers from my brother, my father, two of my uncles, my grandfather, my great-grandfather (who died when I was two years old), and his father (who died long before I was born). They are never really gone, since I remember them every time I go to my toolbox.

3. The first Christmas cards were privately printed in London by one businessman in 1843. The next year, a few of his friends also had cards printed, and a few more did so the next year. In 1846, commercially printed cards were sold in stores.

4. Unable to get Cap & Trade through the Senate even when he had 60 votes, Obama now plans to create the same thing by EPA regulations of dubious legality. Cap & Trade will have many effects, such as doubling the cost of electricity, increasing the cost of gasoline by $1.50 per gallon, and making some well-positioned businessmen into billionaires. It has never been shown that this will save the planet, create green jobs, or reduce energy imports.

5. I got another email just now of a type I get now and then. Somebody sent me an idea by email, and having no reply, he assumed that I was angry with him. No, I'm just considering the idea and bouncing it around the staff. If I were angry, you wouldn't have to guess about it.

6. The FCC, acting against the decision of the Congress, the will of the people, and the rulings of the courts, has decided to make the internet "fair" by requiring websites to either post both views of an issue or link to opposing views. Oh come on. Like anyone who really wants to study an issue cannot do that for himself? Like it's really going to accomplish anything? If I just want to read stuff I agree with, I'll just ignore the obligatory links to opposing views, just like I ignore newspaper columnists whom I don't like to read.

7. On 12 Jan, we arrived at work to find blood spatter all over the sidewalk and parking lot. Being responsible citizens, we called the police to ask them if they knew about it, and if they wanted to bag the various items soaked with blood and photograph the crime scene before we cleaned it up. They appreciated our responsible action. When you find a crime scene, call the cops and ask them what to do (if they want to do anything); do not mess with anything that could be evidence.

8. Spain is bankrupt, but found the money to pay for ads asking Spanish people to buy Palestinian-made potato chips instead of Israeli-made potato chips. I didn't know either one of those made potato chips.

9. Titivillius, the demon assigned to introduce errors into the work of scribes, academics, authors, editors, publishers, and game designers, never sleeps.

10. A year after the devastating Haiti earthquake, and nothing has been done about rebuilding the island. Millions still live in refugee camps and tent cities. No major buildings or businesses or even home have been replaced. Billions have poured into the island, some of it stolen, but most of it used to pay for tents and food (instead of rebuilding houses and getting people back to the point they can feed themselves). The Haitian government is even charging 40% import duties on stuff relief groups bring in!