about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Monday, August 29, 2011

Failure to communicate

This is Steven Petrick Posting.

This blog is late because, even in a small company, we had a communications breakdown.

Thus it becomes a blog in itself and a lesson.

SVC assigned me to do the blog on Sunday, 28 August 2011, early last week. Saturday he decided that I needed to take a day off (I usually come to the office on Sunday to at least check email and see if anything is happening on the board). Saturday I remembered I needed to do a blog, but I was tired and had decided to do it the next day. I left the office fully intending to come in and do the blog myself, so I did not mention the blog situation to SVC. No reason to do so, I was going to come in and do one. SVC, of course, had already forgotten that I was supposed to do the blog, and Jean Sexton, the final and ultimate backup, was at her Mother's house where the power (courtesy of the hurricane) had knocked out the power.

Sunday morning I woke up, and still being tired, I remembered that SVC had told me to take that day off, and I just decided to do so. I spent a good part of the day watching TV, and a good part of the day sleeping.

I never called SVC and confirmed that I was taking the day off, so obviously I never mentioned to him that someone needed to do the blog. Each time it occurred to me that a blog needed to be done, I simply fell back on SVC would check the blog from his home sometime, or Jean would (I was unaware that Jean Sexton was off line).

The upshot, my failure to communicate (and indeed I know better) resulted in no blog being posted on Sunday.