about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Things Move Along

This is Steven Petrick posting.

As might be assumed, I am working on several different projects, in addition to assisting SVC with Marines: Assault. With the exception of Captain's Log #45 none of my projects have definite end dates, but all of them take time, and get interrupted by the normal course of business (whether checking orders, answering the phone, or other administrative tasks).

More interruptions are coming down the road as we are about to engage in a project that is long past due.

There are a lot of different drafting programs out there, and on this score Federation Commander and Star Fleet Battles have long parted ways. While this may remain the case for the foreseeable future, I need to be able to work in the program that creates Federation Commander ship cards: something I currently have no idea how to do. So we are going to have to have an interruption where SVC basically sits down and works through a ship card with me.

This is not going to just be "cut and paste," i.e., making ship cards out of stuff SVC has done before. I need to know how to create tables in the program for new weapons should the issue come up.

I am quite capable of taking an SFB SSD and figuring out how it should be converted, but the actual mechanics have been outside of my bailiwick. Making the underlying ship outlines on which the boxes are laid out may be much more of a chore. I have never done that kind of drafting, and am not particularly artistic in my own right.

This is, however, something that we very definitely need to do, and have needed to do since SVC took up the new program for Federation Commander. His recent accident in front of the office was a good indication of why (we had decided on this update program before he fell, and his fall is the only reason its implementation has been delayed, i.e., he needed to recover enough to work with me, and he needed to finish the Marines module).