about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Working in Amarillo

Jean Sexton reports:

What can I write? The last three weeks have been a whirlwind of activity. I'm still sorting things out; let me give you a glimpse into my world of juggling balls.

My new office isn't finished being set up. I don't have all the storage space that I had when I worked in the library and I have combined my home office with my personal stuff from my old work office. That meant that I was bringing a dowry of office supplies: pens, pencils, markers, sticky notes, note pads, printer supplies, paper, and much, much more. It overflowed the storage closet! I now have a rainbow colored storage cart that holds my supplies, all neatly organized.

I'm still short one desk and should be able to get it on Friday. That will let me have a Mac in the office.

My bookcases are still missing books; I'll start bringing in some of those books when they show up as I unpack. I use them on a regular basis to answer questions, including my own.

And of course I've shown up to work at one of the busiest times of the year -- prepping for Origins and getting new things out. I feel sometimes like a juggler trying to keep too many balls in the air. I have to proofread and make sure all the corrections get made. I'm also contributing a bit more in the way of writing and suggestions. We are moving along with Captain's Log #47 and I can tell you there are a lot of good articles and a whopper of a story.

One of the balls in the air is moving into the apartment. I have so many fragile things that the boxes they are packed into don't fit in the apartment. As I unpack, the area taken up shrinks. Still it is a time-consuming process.

I've had to set aside one ball until after Origins. The Traveller Prime Directive ball proved one ball too many as we try to get products out prior to Origins and to plan how to pack the van full of SFU goodness without leaving me behind or mounting me as a hood ornament.I'll be able to give it full attention after Origins.

I can tell you that one of the joys of being here is working with the people at ADB. Everyone is so helpful both professionally and personally. It can be a challenge to get everything done, but it's a challenge that I'll be able to meet.