about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Thursday, July 04, 2013

On July 4, Drama, and Canyons

Jean Sexton muses:

This July 4 will be my first outside one of the original 13 colonies of what would become the United States. Yet I won't be alone today as Americans all join together to celebrate Independence Day (or, as one of my British friends described it, "To celebrate your country's insurrection against its lawful rulers"). One of my favorite Founding Fathers is John Adams who wrote, "It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires, and Illuminations, from one End of this Continent to the other, from this Time forward forever more."

Today ADB, Inc. will be running a short day with a skeleton crew toward the end of the day. We plan on celebrating with eating together this afternoon and then Steve Cole will drive Leanna and me to see the outdoor drama "Texas." That will be our "Shew" and if the weather is right, we will have "Illuminations."

I look forward to seeing "Texas" as it was written by Paul Green, a fellow North Carolinian. Not only did we share a state, we attended the same university, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I enjoyed seeing his "The Lost Colony" and I expect to enjoy this one. I also look forward to seeing the Palo Duro Canyon. The second largest canyon in the United States, it has a beauty all its own. I found it beautiful in the winter and hope to see the vegetation in the summer.

As we enjoy ourselves, we hope that you have fun as well. Happy birthday USA!