about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Sunday, September 01, 2013

On Anniversaries and Home and the Future

Jean Sexton muses:

I started my "retired" life on May 1 this year -- four months ago. It seems a good time to reflect back on what that has meant to both me and to ADB, Inc.

On a personal level, it has meant a lot of good days. I do miss my beautiful gardens as well as the tree frogs and toads that lived around the house, but I don't miss the combined heat and humidity. I certainly don't miss the mosquitoes, deer flies, horse flies, and stinging gnats that attacked in the evenings when I got home. I also enjoy the new challenges of setting up my own little apartment and a quiet life. As I unpack and find things, I make a place for them. I have had to move my collection of books to be more e-books. I cannot buy them all at once, but they are on my "wishlist" so that I can find them if I need to re-read an old favorite.

Professionally, it has been great! I've had a shake-up in what I do and how I do it. I have new opportunities for growth in serving our customers and doing some things that are good for the company. We've been talking about the Star Fleet Rangers for about 10 years; now they have the chance to reach their full potential. Starlist has grown. Our e-zines are thriving. Our website will be brushed up some to look more appealing while keeping its functionality. Away Team Log is out on e23 and DriveThru RPG and I'm learning more about their tools to highlight our books. Traveller Prime Directive is coming along smartly. We are all hoping this will help the company and let us provide more things for you, our customer.

The one problem I am having is the location of "home." Is it where I grew up in Murfreesboro, North Carolina? Is it Robeson County where I lived for 30 years? I'm slowly moving to "home" being my apartment in Amarillo. I don't think I'll ever sound like a Texan and my "default" in tea will be sweet tea, but I will explore this new "home." Its beautiful blue sky has already found its way into my heart.

As for what the the future holds for me, I will discover that in the fullness of time. I hope that it will include a pet to make the time at the apartment more fun. I think it will include a lot of hard work to put ADB out in front of the gaming companies so that no one ever again thinks we're out of business. I do know that I will live my life and not merely exist, that I will try to leave people happy, and that I will find joy in the ordinary things of life. If I make the world around me a bit better, then my life is a success.